Saturday, October 8, 2011

A Good (?) Start

On Wednesday, as I was driving home from work, the muffler fell off of my husband's car. I pulled into a parking log, looked at it, and contemplated what to do next. I opened the trunk and found a set of jumper cables (not so helpful) and a pair of child's dress up butterfly wings. I grabbed the wings, ripped the fabric and extracted the wires. Then, I did something I NEVER in my life thought I would do. I got down on the ground, on my back, and scooted under the car. I used the wire to tie the muffler to some metal thingie under there that looked like it was made for the sole purpose of tying a wire that is holding up a muffler! I felt incredibly empowered.

This morning, 5 AM, Jeff came home and huffed into bed. He was breathing heavily, wiggling around, and basically trying to wake me without coming out and saying so! I asked what was up and he told me that he blew out a tire on my car and ran off the road. He's fine. The car needs a new tire, but is otherwise fine.

Grand.

So, getting his car to Midas for a muffler fix up now had a drop of hiccup. No worries, the girl on the phone when I made the appointment said they had a loaner. No Problem. Right?

She lied. No loaner.

I walked home. It's not THAT far. It only took me 20 minutes. I think anyone else could have done it in less, but I turned my ankle on Wednesday (for the umpteenth time) and haven't been walking well because of it. On top of that, the limp made my back hurt like mad.

At the half way point between Midas and our house is a McDonald's. I was jonesing for a pumpkin spice cappuccino and decided to stop in. I was tired, in pain, cranky, needed coffee, needed a little rest for my back, and REALLY wanted an Egg McMuffin. I walked in, looked at the coffee menu, determined there was no pumpkin spice (depressing) and started to review the breakfast menu. Wait a second!!! Just because the diet starts MONDAY doesn't mean that I should blow it all out of the water today!!! I turned around and walked out.

It's a little start, but I managed to get in some exercise and won a fight against junk food all at the same time. I'll call it a win, for now.

When I got home, Jeff and sweet little Ava were in full meltdown mode. Erin was telling me all the dirty details of how it was all Ava's fault. I told her that it's no one's fault and grabbed a yogurt from the fridge. I sent the man back to bed and calmed the "baby" (yeah, she's 3, but she'll always be my baby).

Dang it... I still need a pumpkin spice cappuccino!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment