Thursday, January 28, 2016

More Music!

Tonight, I've been thinking about more of the great times from my past.  When I was 17, I had the opportunity to travel with a Christian singing group called the Continentals.  I had the time of my life.  I got to see the world.  I made friends to truly last a lifetime.

I'm very blessed that the friends I had at that stage of my life are still in my life thanks to the amazing powers of Facebook.  Truly, social media has taken us very, very far.

I want to share with you a Continentals song that always touched me.  I didn't sing it with the group I toured with.. but it was the song that led me to want to join the group.


Light your world.  Even if your life can only touch 2 or 3 other lives... you can make a difference to someone that means the world to them.  I hope above all hopes that I have been able to touch a life and make a difference.

I learned a lot about myself that summer.  I'll never forget the friends I made.  The love I felt.  The hope for my future.  I wore a wooden cross necklace on a leather strap everywhere I went.  That cross necklace stood for so much to me.  It was a reminder of my faith, of a man who was willing to give up his life to save mine... It was a token, a souvenir from a rock concert that forever changed the way I looked a drummers --- when I saw the drum set lift into the air and spin while the drummer was doing a mad solo -- so cool.  It was a symbol for me.  That cross never left me.... to this day, it is burned into me as a reminder of one of the best years of my life.

During that time, I remember one of the songs that pulled me through each and every day.  I was far from home, sometimes in the United States, but also in Germany, Switzerland, the Netherlands, and for a brief while, France.  This song reminded me of what was waiting at home.  It reminded me that I was never alone.  When I was sad, lonely, or scared... it was with me.  This band played at that same concert that left such an impression on me. I have always and will always love this song.


One more?  Ok, this time, not a song, but a movie clip!  This is my favorite scene from one of my favorite movies of all time.  The movie is St. Elmo's Fire.   Brat Pack GOLD baby!  I'll never forget the first time I saw this scene.  All I could think of was that I wanted Andrew McCarthy to love me the way he loved Ally Sheedy.  Then, as I grew older, I just wanted someone to want me like that.  I wanted to know how it felt to have someone love me like that.  This scene shows friendship, honesty, revelation of a hidden love, and passion.  The sad truth behind it, tho, is that the love had been hidden because the woman was not available for him... she was taken.  The moment she became available, he had the opportunity to reveal the secret he had held in his heart for a long time.  What is even better... is that she is so very touched by his confession... and in that one line, "It is tomorrow," the truth between them is revealed.  Sometimes we wait on too many tomorrows when the time to act is now.



So there you have it.  Some of the things that helped mold my emotional, spiritual, and romantic traits.

Tonight's advice:

Live to be a light for someone in need.  

Rely on God to pull you through even the hardest of times because HE WILL BE THERE.

Love with a healthy balance of passion and caution.  Don't wait too long to figure out what it is you really want.  Don't be afraid to take a chance....

Ok, one more song, because it just came to me....



Goodnight everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment