Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Turning 40

Birthdays!

We love birthdays, don't we?  Even when we reach an age that frightens us - for me that is 40 - there is a little thrill in the air when a birthday comes.  As we get older, the reasons are a bit different.  It's no longer about gifts or parties, but there's still something about it that makes us smile.

On Friday, January 22, I turned 40.  I dreaded this day for quite some time.  I went through one of those, "Look at all the stuff I thought I'd do by 40..." moments.  We all do that on milestone birthdays, right?  But, honestly, I've achieved so much more than I ever would have imagined.

First, I have a master's degree!  I never in a million years would have predicted that.  I nearly failed out of high school.  My SAT scores were so low that only the community college would take me.  I had to do 2 years of penance at a local community college in order to make it to an accredited 4 year university.  Once I got there, I took extra courses and summer courses just to finish my BA in a 4 year period of time.   What was once the standard, has now become an exception to the rule.  No one seems to finish in 4 years anymore.

I didn't have the BEST grades in my undergrad work.  I did have my father's voice echoing in my ears.  "You're going to end up flipping burgers for the rest of your life."  Cruel.  When I graduated he said, "Not bad kid.  I was sure you would end up as a hairdresser."  Is that an insult?  I love my hairdresser!  They work HARD for their money!  What's the deal with that?

After college, I didn't want to move home with Mom and Dad, so I made a few mistakes, married the wrong guy, divorced the wrong guy.  THEN I moved back home with Mom and Dad.

Children, learn from me.... it's better to move back home with Mom and Dad BEFORE you marry the wrong dude than it is to make such a huge mistake.

That was when I tripped and stumbled into my current career.  I work in finance. In school I sucked at math.  God does stuff like that to us.  I hated math, and now, I do it every day.

It just isn't what I wanted for my life.  Finance, 15 years into the business, just isn't where I wanted to be.  That's why I decided to go back to school for my MA in Communications.  I graduated with my MA from Gonzaga University with a 3.96 GPA in 2013.

I was always a poor student.  I had no interest in school or learning.  Once I found something that I really enjoyed in grad school, I excelled.  I loved every moment of that journey.

Another thing I never expected to have at age 40 was children.  I decided while I was young that I didn't want to have kids.  Then, I hit 30 and my biological alarm clock went off and the snooze button was broken.  I needed to have kids.  I have 2 beautiful daughters and I couldn't imagine life without them.

I didn't mention the second and current husband.   He's pretty awesome, too.  After marriage #1 failed, I didn't ever want to marry again.  Hubs changed my mind and I'm glad he did.  He's been a rock for me through all of my crazy ideas, schemes, and crafty experiments.  He's one of the good ones and I'm glad I have him in my life.

I was approaching 40 thinking of all the things I DIDN'T do that I had wanted to do by now.  I haven't been to England, Italy, Ireland, or Scotland.  I haven't learned Hangul/Korean, I'm not a famous Broadway star, and I'm not fabulously wealthy.

When I stopped to look at the things I HAVE accomplished, I know I am blessed. Who cares about that other stuff!!!  I have an amazing life, an amazing husband, amazing kids, and I'm happy.

Bring it on 40!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment