Thursday, February 11, 2016

Sausage Potato Kale Soup

My kids are SUPER picky eaters.  My 9 year old daughter will eat chicken in any variation, but avoids veggies at all costs.  The younger one, with autism, has texture issues and has a very limited diet.  Her favorite food is yogurt and she avoids all meats, except for bacon.  If she had her way, every meal would be breakfast.  My dear husband works the night shift.  He only eats with the family on weekends.   

In short, I live my weekdays as a short order chef.  Each kid eats something different, I then pack a lunch for hubs to take to work, and finally, once the kids are in bed and the hubs is out the door, I make something for me.

It's quite tedious.

However, this past week or so, I have been on a cooking kick.  I've made 3 hour chicken, crockpot pork, pizza fondue, tacos, mac-n-cheese, chili pasta, and my favorite:  Sausage Potato Kale Soup.

I found a recipe for Sausage Bean soup, and another for sausage potato, and another for sausage kale... I took my favorite parts of each recipe and combined them with the seasonings and spices I had in my own home.  

Today, I'm happy to share my final creation with you.  I've made it this way many times and it truly is my favorite soup of all time. 







RECIPE:

Sausage Potato Kale Soup
1 lb. ground sausage (I like sage sausage)
1 red bell pepper, diced
1 green bell pepper, diced
1 cup chopped carrots
1 small white onion, diced
3 med. gold potatoes, diced
3 cups (one bunch) kale, torn
32 oz. reduced sodium chicken broth
4 cups water
1 Tbs. Dill (I use Pampered Chef Dill mix, it has some dried onion in it)
1 Tbs. Rustic Herb Seasoning (I use Tastefully Simple -you  can substitute with a mix of garlic powder, rosemary, thyme, and black pepper)
1 Tbs. Lemon Pepper seasoning (this brightens up the soup)

Brown the sausage in about 1 Tbs. of vegetable oil.  Throw in the onion, carrots, and both green and red peppers and allow them to cook down a bit.  Then add the potatoes and kale.  Give it a good toss.

Add in the broth, water, and seasonings and bring to a boil.  Back the heat off  and leave it to simmer for about an hour.  

This is an amazing soup.  I hope you love it as much as I do!!  If your kids are as picky as mine, it reheats very well, too!  I make up a batch and take it to work for a week!  YUM!

No comments:

Post a Comment